Friday, August 20, 2010

University of Sto. Tomas Museum of Arts and Sciences

University of Sto. Tomas is the oldest school in the Philippines (399 years now!). It was my first time to really go around the school (even though it's where my best friend got his Bio degree) and the last time I visited UST was four years ago when my Mom was confined in the hospital.

The building is earthquake proof because it was built in segments.

Sweetie and I grabbed the chance to visit and tour UST with blogger friends, Nina, Juned and Winston and the hubby. We met up with them inside the campus and was pleasantly surprised that we had student-tour guides! A lot has changed since my last visit (2006) when a lot of construction work was being done. The campus is now greener and eco. A lot of students were hanging out under huge trees (something that's quite rare in my alma mater).

The lush greenery encourages students to have fun outdoors.

The tour of the UST Museum was a real treat. It had a lot of very interesting artifacts. Here are some of them:

Two floors of artifacts and paintings from Filipino masters.


I asked the curator if this two-headed carabao is real. It is! 


Three dimensional bulul. 


Weaponry.


This is something I want for my kitchen! Ancient siyanse!


An awesome model.


 Mama Mary and Baby Jesus. I got my Mom a post card of this statue.


The UST Museum of Arts and Sciences have the following collections (a lot though are in storage):

The Natural History Collection
Coins, Medals and Memorablia Collection
The Ethnography Collection
The Oriental Arts Collection
The Hall of Philippine Religious Images

I wish though that they'd have more space so they can feature everything that they have!

UST Museum of Arts and Sciences
3rd Floor Main Building
University of Sto. Tomas
Calle Espana, Manila 1015
Tel. No.: +63(2) 781-1815
Telefax: +63 (2) 740-9718
Email: museum @ mnl.ust.edu.ph
Website: http://ustmuseum.ust.edu.ph

Viewing Schedules:
Tuesday to Saturday
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(Gallery is closed on holidays)

Admission Charges:
Non-student: PhP30.00
Student: PhP20.00

No comments:

Post a Comment