Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lahore: Cooco's Den and Cafe

A few months back I had the chance to visit Pakistan for the very first time. We took a long plane ride from Singapore to Bangkok to Karachi. A lot of people are probably anxious about going to Pakistan, but I wasn't since my good friend, Badar, has been telling me about his lovely country for six years now. I didn't get to see much of Karachi since we spent most of our time cooped up in the hotel for events.

After Karachi we headed to Lahore on a short plane ride. We arrived just as the sun was setting. Seeing the sun made me feel homesick. Before heading to the hotel we visited Badar's home to say hello to his family and we did some shoe shopping (they have lots of awesome shoes!). In the evening we visited the Badshahi Mosque and then had dinner at Cooco's Den and Cafe.


It was quite a trek going up to the restaurant and everyone had to take rest stops because of me (haha). It was pretty dark at the rooftop though and my photos didn't turn out good (except for some long shot photos of the mosque). I had a grand time taking photos of the art collection on the first floor. It was really interesting to see that they had some stonecraft items displayed as well. They said they were also made in Pakistan. 


Cooco's Den and Cafe's history is very interesting. According to the menu it's location used to be the red light district and the restaurant used to be a place only for adults (for adult fun). Badar mentioned that the food there was delicious so since he knew my allergies I left the task of ordering to him. He got quite a lot of different dishes and I tasted most of it even though it was spicy. Growing up in Manila I never really had the chance to try similar dishes although when I met Badar he introduced me to Middle Eastern/Persian food and I surprisingly like it. My tolerance for spicy food though is still pretty low, but I discovered that yogurt helps increase tolerance!

I hope I'd be able to visit Lahore again someday and try more yummy Pakistani dishes :) 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment