Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Casablanca: Rick's Cafe

When I found out that I was going to visit Morocco the first thought I had was, "I have to watch Casablanca!" Casablanca is one of my Mom's favorite movies and "As Time Goes By" is one of her favorite songs. I got the chance to watch the movie on my way to Morocco. I guess the airline just found it appropriate to include it as one of the many movies available for its passengers to watch. 

I got more lucky when we had dinner at Rick's Cafe in Casablanca. It's not the real cafe as depicted in the movie, but a replica put together by an American diplomat in 2004. It was an exciting experience nonetheless since it's one of the famous tourist spots in Casablanca. 


Rick's Cafe from the outside.

The entrance.


We had a special set-up though since there were so many of us. 

Interesting lamps adorn the restaurant. 

We each had our chosen menu on a special card (head waiter though was really stressed out because he wanted to make sure that they got our order right).

Another interesting looking lamp sits at the corner.


Center area shot from the second floor.

Me with some colleagues. (I was the only Asian in the group!)
 

Salad with goat cheese. 

Salmon and ratatouille. 

This is the reason why I chose menu #3, to-die for strawberry cheesecake.
Posted by Picasa

It was truly a different experience and was pleased to see the owner wave goodbye to us as we left the cafe. I'm making this post so it would be easier to share the experience with my Mom when I get home.

Rick's Cafe (map)
248 Rue Sour Jdid, Casablanca, Morocco
+212 22274207

*Watch out though for the head waiter, he gets easily stressed out. Haha. 

1 comment: