Thursday, June 10, 2010

Images of Baclayon Church



Baclayon Church in Bohol is the second oldest Church in the Philippines. The Church of the Our Lady of Immaculate Concepcion was built by the Jesuits in 1717 and what is interesting about the structure is the fact that the natives used coral stones from the sea and cemented together with egg whites. Upon closer inspection of the walls you would notice that it is indeed much different from other old Churches in the Philippines.

In the Church is a museum that showcases old relics and artifacts that were used in the olden times. They had the same gigantic music book which I saw at San Agustin Church, lots of statues which they used to bring in processions, ecclesiastical vestments (I couldn't imagine how they wore it). The guide also pointed out a Sto. Nino which got stolen several times already.

I felt that I stepped back in time when I went inside the Church. I was almost sure I would see Padre Damaso and Maria Clara in prayer. I imagined dressed up matrons fanning themselves which furiously praying the rosary. And saw sacristans running around while the friars were busy talking to the gobernadorcillo. It felt that way because women in sleeveless and shorts were requested to don a blouse and skirt to cover their arms and legs. I had to wear my sarong because I was wearing shorts.





What I found most interesting in the Church though were the windows. The windows had colorful stained glass on it which cast interesting lively colors on the pews



The other windows seemed like portals to the past. I wonder if this area looked the same a hundred years ago.  One can just wonder how things were in the past.


Outside the Church one would nice that one of the panels looked like someone drew a photo of Padre Pio on it. Do you see it?


I had a lovely time at the Baclayon Church, most especially since I went there with my boys.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'd love to go here someday. Great place to have photowalks too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mia thank you for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete